Use our pull-down menus to find more stories

Juju Makossa Star, Y.k. Ajao, Blasts Ksa

Email This Page

Print This Page

P.M. News (Lagos)

May 7, 2004
Posted to the web May 7, 2004

Ayodele Lawal
Lagos

The Juju Makossa exponent, Professor Yekini Kolawole Ajao a.k.a. Y.K. Ajao, has accused the juju king, Otunba Sunday Ishola Adeniyi Adegeye, a.k.a. King Sunny Ade, of killing juju music.

Speaking at a recent gathering of artistes at Majenta Hotel, Egbeda, Lagos State, Y.K., as he is popularly called, said he refused to be associated with a recent call by KSA for a juju Musician's Union at Sheraton Hotel and Towers because of the direction which the event was tilting towards, wondering: "How can a person who wants the welfare and unity of juju artistes form an association tagged "KSA and friends".

While advocating for a common juju front as a lasting solution to the current decline of juju music, he advocated the need for a new juju platform to which all and sundry will be dedicated.

"Lets swear on oath to affirm our loyalty when the association is formed", he added.

Also speaking, the Soko exponent, Wonder Dayo Kujore carpeted the Music Advertisement Association of Nigeria (MAAN) and Association of Gramophone Cassettes and Record Distributors (AGRED), which he accused of ganging up against juju musicians.

Tracing the geneis of the AGRED and MAN conspiracy to the year 1993, when he was with the Ivory Music, Kujore said, "we can not make an headway until we break the conspiracy against us by the distributors. Let's call them and ask what the problem is".

Kujore alleged that distributors always ask for money, liquor and other things before supporting an artiste and pushing his work.

"They believe juju artistes had offended them some years back so they are visiting their anger on us now", he stressed.

The convener of the event, Admiral Dele Abiodun, who is also the First Vice-President of Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria (PMAN) told the gathering that he was not interested in a preponderance of juju associations, but affirmed his interest in the progress and general wellbeing of the juju artiste.

Abiodun told the juju artistes that "it is highly disheartening that we play for the elites, yet individually and as a group, we are not making appreciable progress.

Relevant Links

Let's look inwards" .

At the well attended event it was resolved that the juju artistes should meet on the second Wednesday of every month for further discussion. Present at the gathering were, Emperor Pick Peters, General Prince Adekunle, Tunde Samson, Ade Olusayo S.F. Olomokere, Wale Thompson, Segun Adewale, and others.

Make allAfrica.com your home page

Top | Site Français | Site Guide | Who We Are | Advertising | Search | Subscribe

Copyright © 2004 P.M. News. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). Click here to contact the copyright holder directly for corrections -- or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material.

Questions or Comments? Contact us. Read our Privacy Statement.

allAfrica.com
Relevant Links

Check out Afropop on AllAfrica

Juju Makossa Star, Y.k. Ajao, Blasts Ksa
A Serial Thriller
Western Music Explosion Coming Right Up
Remembering the Lost Children Up North
Rasesa Rocks With Sounds of Malaika

Topics

Search:

A Day In Monrovia

A Day In Monrovia (A Documentary)

Rhythm of Resistance -

Rhythm of Resistance - Black South African Music (1979)

by Jeremy Marre

$19.98

Click here now to check for a reduced price!

Amandla!

Amandla! A Revolution In Four-Part Harmony (2002)

by Lee Hirsch

$19.98

Click here now to check for a reduced price!

Ladysmith Black Mambazo - In Harmony:

Ladysmith Black Mambazo - In Harmony: Live at the Royal Albert Hall (1999)

South Africa Freedom Day:

South Africa Freedom Day: Concert on the Square (2001)

Africa 2004